As a parent I am constantly questioning, thinking, pondering, praying that I'm teaching my sons everything they need to know to be faithful, good, strong, righteous, honorable men when they grow up. I feel I fall short in so many ways and am still trying to not only teach them, but myself also, to be better... to DO better every day. But every so often on days like yesterday I feel like I've done something right.
Yesterday, immediately after our primary activity ended at 11:30 (the primary activity that Drake chose to go to instead of his 1st soccer season game - which was not an easy decision for a boy who LOVES anything to do with sports) we headed up to see Eddie at the park by our house. See, it was one of the young men in our ward's Eagle Project and they were building a HUGE dog park, which meant digging 150 post holes, setting the posts, fencing, etc. Now Eddie had been there since the start at 8:30am and when we arrived at 12:00 they were still working hard. My boys upon seeing the work wanted to stay and jump in and help. Long story short, after 5 straight hours I picked them up at 5:00pm - dirty, smelly, sweaty, worn out and happy to be so. They were so excited to have dug their own 2 feet holes with the post digger and to simply be serving. They came home so tired that they didn't speak much, let alone move (another great benefit of serving - not enough energy to goof off, tease or fight with anyone!). But not once did they complain to me about it or call me to come get them early, even when I came back an 2 hours later to check on them. I guess I'm so pleased with the character they are developing. THough they are certainly not perfect, they are always willing to help others, be it neighbors, friends, family, myself and even strangers. They help even when no one is looking or even without being asked or told. I think that is one of the most Christ like attributes they can strive to have, serving others. So to my husband who was there all day, and even after it was all over returning equipment to work, I say thank you! Thanks you for ALWAYS showing our sons what it means to serve and for being that example to them. In a world where serving others has been lost, I am overwhelmed when I see my 10 and 7 year old have not followed the world's way, but that of our Savior.




4 comments:
I love it! Sounds like you're doing just fine!
The fact that you even CARE about if you are doing a good job speaks volume!
They have wonderful parents as an example! What a wonderful post! Keep up the good work!
Glad to see Eddie is rubbing off on them...in good ways :) ha ha ha! You are both great parents with wondeful kids....clearly you had an older sibling that was a good example ;)
Post a Comment