Saturday, November 8, 2008

The Twilight Zone

So, in case you hadn't heard, it rains here in Oregon - jus a lil bit - and being from Vegas I was in need of what else but .....
So I stopped in to our local Safeway to buy a few umbrellas for the family. Now I have heard, on more then one occasion, that you can always spot an out of towner by those sport'n an umbrella. I guess that the "Oregonians" don't need them, either because they are part duck and the water rolls off their backs (some evolutionary phenomenon) or they've figured out that it's just not worth the time or hassle since it's wet a lot around here.

Well as for me, first off, I'm perfectly okay with people knowing that I'm not from around here and secondly, it takes a lot of time to straighten all this HAIR!!! 

With that said, I proceeded into the store where I was greeted by an eager employee ready to assist me with my shopping needs....

When I inquired about the location of their umbrellas things got a little WEIRD! The employee cocked her head and looked at me for a minute and then said she had no idea if they had any. She then motioned for me to follow and off we went. Spotting a fellow worker at the end of an isle she YELLS down, "HEY DO YOU KNOW IF WE CARRY UMBRELLAS?" To which the other replies (in the same tone), "UMBRELLAS??? HU, I DON'T KNOWN." Then both employees lead me to one more coworker who is almost on the other side of the store and HOLLER out the same puzzling question. By this time there are 4-5 other shoppers looking at me like I've made some crazy request.

Now I'm think'n I might just be in the twilight zone cause, HELL-O we're in OREGON - where it rains A LOT, and I'm not asking for HORSE meat to cook for dinner, I'm looking for an umbrella!!!! 

Needless to say, NO umbrellas! 

I think it might have been easier to ask for feminine or hemorrhoid cream. Maybe they wouldn't have been as shocked!

5 comments:

Chuckie said...

You know for some reason I think the combo of both those creams would get you a little bit of a crazier look.

LaAna said...

Okay Chuckie, that's probably true, but I was feeling a little melodramatic at the moment if you don't mind!

Heidi said...

That is so funny! The people there must not care about how they look, if they don't have an umbrella! Where did you go to get this umbrella?... the Kum-N-GO?? Just kidding.... It rained a ton in Missouri also. We always kept one in the car.

Steph said...

Better stick with Wally World!

Gini said...

How did you get the store workers to pose for that picture for you?? Just kidding. Funny funny post. The last downpour here, and you know there are few and far between, was just as the kids were getting out of school. We DON'T have an umbrella here, or so I thought. I found a big a$$ golf umbrella of Bill's. Connor's whole class could have fit under it!