It's that time again where we get to look back and reflect on another year that has passed by. New Years eve and day now hold a new meaning for me. You see it was on new years morning that my dad suddenly and unexpectedly passed away. It will be 4 years tomorrow. I haven't spoken a lot about my dad here because somethings are so dear to my heart that words fail me. I will however, because this blog serves as a written journal for me, share a little about my dad.

Those of you familiar with Samoan culture will understand when I say we were raised the Samoan way - especially my older sister and I. Along with discipline came a love that I have yet to see replicated from any other father child dynamic. My dad loved his family more then life itself. I still cannot comprehend the depths of one person's selflessness. He taught me what the real meaning of faith is by his example, what unconditional love is and what respect, knowledge, strength, hard work, sacrifice, responsibility, trust and honor looks like in one man. He taught us since the time we were little that our siblings should be like the black of your eye - at least that's the translation, as it was a Samoan saying. As the eldest of 12 siblings he knew what that truly meant.

In the Samoan culture to have sons is a great blessing (probably because that would mean more hands to work on the plantation), so when my dad ended up with 3 girls first I wonder what he thought? Then I realized that nobody took care of daddy like his little girls! Though his boy did finally come last, which was a good thing for my brother because he had mellowed out by then. Dad would always take us with him and we were treated just like boys. As little girls he took us to air shows, boxing matches, WWF fights and monster truck shows! You name it, we would do it with dad, all while in our frilly little dresses and matching hair bows! He was always the one quick to say, "You can have whatever you want as long as you hurry!" He never was caught without money in his wallet so if his girls were hungry (that's also the Samoan in him and us) he would never have to say no because he didn't have money on him. He never turned away someone in need. I always saw him giving money to the homeless or buying them food. He would usually have something hilarious to say to them, but it was done with love in his eyes.
As I sit here recalling all the memories I had with him I think I miss his sense of humor the most. Although, so I'm told, he had a thick accent we always knew what he was saying. Eddie recently told me that there were times when he was having a conversation with dad and didn't understand half of what was said! That also reminds me of the relationship Eddie had with my dad. They never had one cross word and my dad loved Eddie as his own son and taught him so much before he passed. I think Eddie cried harder the morning he died then I did.
So, with so much for me to be thankful for at the end of this year, I am most grateful for eternal families and the testimony I have of the plan of salvation, and that we are all sealed together for the eternities. I long for those conversations that we had together, for the memories made and the way the world was made right when my hero, my dad, would softly kiss my forehead and tell me he loved me.
May your lives and families be blessed this coming year
and may you never take for granted those around you.
Happy New Year!!!




10 comments:
LaAna I really enjoyed reading and looking at the pictures. The boys look so grown up. We really miss you guys. Please tell the boys "hi" from all of us. We love and miss you guys!!!
Gina
Laana you have such a sweet spirit about you. I love that about you. I was just sitting here reading your blog and so many memories flooded back. Your dad was always so generous to us whenever we were over there. He always made us feel like one of his kids. I hope you have a wonderful new year.
Kimmie - Thanks for your kind words and for taking a moment to remember Dad. He was truly one of a kind!
Gina - You found it!!! I'm so happy that we have another way to keep in touch. We miss you all dearly and hope that you have a safe and happy New Years! Kiss my nieces and nephews for me and that hubby of yours too!
That was so sweet. I loved your dad, he was so fun! I hope you are the boys have a great New Year!
What a sweet post. Been thinking about you guys tonight.
Hope you have a happy new year.
LaAna, what a wonderful post about your wonderful Dad! I remember the day he passed away, and the message left on my parents answering machine. I just could not believe it.
Your Dad was always so funny, and had the best attitude about life! I could go on and on! We love you, and will always remember your sweet Dad!
Cute pictures of your Christmas Day! Glad that your hubby could make it back! That is a pretty crazy looking shell!! And I totally thought that you were going to say you were having a baby! Maybe next year? Happy New Year!
What wonderful friends your parents & family were and still are to us - Bro. Ferdig sincerely hopes that Teni took the formula for PEPSI with him to heaven and that he will have a cold one waiting for him when it's his turn! We love you guys!
Sis Ferdig - I can assure you when that sweet husband of yours moves to higher ground, my dad will be waiting with a cold one in hand and a machine installed in his mansion! Words can never express what comfort it was just knowing that dad was in Bro Ferdig's hands. We love you and wish you the very best for this new year!
That was beautiful LaAna. You are blessed that the anniversary of his passing coincides with everyone's time of renewal and reflection. You will have his memory in the forefront of your mind every year at the same time you are celebrating the prospects of all things new!
Ana, your post about your dad brings such wonderful memories that Steve and I shared with your parents. They were our best friends! We will always remember the call about Teni and his departure, we were so stunned. But he left such a great legacy on earth. You come from a special family and I am sure you will continue that within your own family. Happy New Year!
Post a Comment