Saturday, May 23, 2009

MEMORIES

Ahh, memories.

What fun they are to make, 
to have,
to keep, 
to look forward to,
 and every now and then
 to really sit back and let them flood over you.

Last night Eddie hooked up the video camera and played old videos of our family.
We watched Drake's first Easter and birthday. Guy's first piece of chocolate and Christmas. Teni dancing and imitating his big brothers. And every so often came those moments when I heard his voice, or saw his smile, or watched him interact with my boys. I experienced, all over again, that feeling the first time I laid eyes on my babies, or the moment I looked upon my husband on our wedding day, or the feeling I had standing there again watching the sun set in Samoa.
My Dad.
And it was then that priorities were back in focus, that the world seemed so small and Heaven so big, that I was deeply grateful for my Savior's atoning sacrifice and that I was blessed with the knowledge of eternal families.

So on this Memorial Day weekend my thoughts and heart are with my father.
And I am so thankful that Eddie had me stop what I was doing and sit down and watch the memories in our lives that have meant the most to us.

Happy Memorial Day to all of you. I hope you're making memories that will last a lifetime and beyond! 
And if you get a moment, dig out your old videos, pull up a comfy chair, and be prepared, 
cause you might just be surprised at the flood of emotions that come your way.  

5 comments:

Heidi said...

What a wonderful Memorial Day tribute to your family!

I am definitely going to get the old home movies out this weekend!

Heidi said...

I got the slip-n-slide at Target last week. It was on sale for $15!

NivaBetta said...

Ok, so I am sitting at work this morning at 7:00 am to work overtime on Memorial Day and I just read your post and I'm bawling. I knew before I even read it where you were going. Let me just say, I won't be working the 10 hours I had planned. I should be with the family today. Thanks Sis, I love and miss you. P.S. I'm only working 6 : ) I would love to see those videos too.

Kristi said...

I am so gratetful for our memories!!! It is so hard to not have them here but at least we can look back and reflect, what a nice post.

Sia said...

So I was showing mom your blog in church (bad, I know!!) and I started to cry....I blamed it on being moved by the talks (ha ha ha!you'd laugh too if you heard the talks...) What a beautiful tribute to dad, I'm sure he's in heaven smiling right now as he hangs out with James Brown!